Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Post Type Selectors

R500m Spaza Shop Fund Under Scrutiny as Parliament Probes Foreign National Claims

R500m Spaza Shop Fund Under Scrutiny as Parliament Probes Foreign National Claims

South Africa’s R500 million Spaza Shop Support Fund is facing fresh scrutiny after Parliament announced that its Portfolio Committee on Small Business Development will question allegations that funding was disbursed to foreign nationals.

The committee is scheduled to receive a briefing from the Small Enterprise Development Finance Agency (SEDFA) on 12 August 2026 concerning the Public Protector’s report on the allegations. It will also receive an update on progress in providing support to qualifying South African-owned spaza shops.

What Is the Spaza Shop Support Fund?

The R500 million Spaza Shop Support Fund was launched in April 2025 and is administered through SEDFA and the National Empowerment Fund (NEF).

The programme is intended to provide qualifying township and rural spaza shops with up to R300,000 in financial and non-financial support.

Why Is Parliament Investigating the Fund?

Parliament says the committee will specifically examine allegations that some funding from the R500 million programme was disbursed to foreign nationals.

Importantly, the parliamentary announcement describes these as allegations under scrutiny, rather than establishing that foreign nationals improperly received funding. The committee’s upcoming briefing is intended to examine the matter and receive information from SEDFA and the Department of Small Business Development.

What Does Government Say About Eligibility?

A written parliamentary response from the Department of Small Business Development stated that one of the fund’s qualification requirements is that the spaza shop owner must be a South African citizen or someone naturalised as a South African citizen before 1994.

The department also said applications are subject to ID verification through the Department of Home Affairs and CIPC verification, where applicable. In that response, the department said that, at the time, no foreign national had applied for the Spaza Shop Support Fund, while three applications had been received from naturalised individuals.

What Happens Next?

The Portfolio Committee on Small Business Development is scheduled to receive the SEDFA briefing on Wednesday, 12 August 2026 at 09:30. The Department of Small Business Development will also provide an update on the fund’s progress.

The meeting could provide further clarity on:

  • The Public Protector’s findings
  • The alleged disbursements
  • Verification procedures
  • The number of qualifying beneficiaries
  • Progress in supporting South African-owned spaza shops
  • How SEDFA and government are addressing concerns around the fund

Frequently Asked Questions

Is the Spaza Shop Support Fund being investigated?

Parliament’s Small Business Development Committee is examining allegations concerning the possible disbursement of some fund money to foreign nationals.

How much money is in the Spaza Shop Support Fund?

The programme has a R500 million budget.

Who administers the Spaza Shop Support Fund?

The fund is administered through SEDFA and the National Empowerment Fund.

Can foreign nationals apply for the fund?

According to a 2026 parliamentary response from the Department of Small Business Development, the owner must be a South African citizen or meet the stated naturalisation requirement. The department also said its application system includes identity and business-registration verification.

When will Parliament discuss the allegations?

The Portfolio Committee on Small Business Development is scheduled to receive the relevant briefings on 12 August 2026 at 09:30.

Share our blog:

Scroll to Top